When we allow ourselves to experience the gift of conscious breaths, we are rewarded with a balanced presence and awareness within. Practice the following breathing exercises throughout the day.
Take a deep slow inhale through your nose and at the top of your inhale hold it for 3 seconds before letting it out through your nose. Repeat 3-5 times pausing between each breath. Keep your attention on the movement of your breath. When you’ve completed your last series, close your eyes for a few seconds and connect with the inner calmness of a conscious breath.
A few tips:
- Exhale before taking your first deep breath. This will allow for a deeper inhale.
- Close your eyes and listen to the sound of your breath as you inhale and exhale.
- Pay attention to your jaw and tongue while doing these breathing exercises. They have a tendency to tense up. Allow yourself to be completely relaxed by keeping your tongue rested gentle in the cradle of your mouth and your jaw relaxed.
- Inhale through your nose and exhale out your mouth until you are comfortable breathing in and out through your nose.
- Your breaths may not start off deep and your hold time may be short, but with continued practice you will increase both.
There is amazement and beauty in all things, and it is when we allow ourselves to look beyond a first glance that we can truly appreciate the gift of a visual experience.
Take slow relaxing breaths as you gently gazed at a picture below. Don’t put words to the picture by identifying it, just allow yourself to be completely absorbed in its beauty. If thoughts arise begin to breathe louder and listen to the sound of your breath. The sound should distract your thoughts allowing you to return your attention back to the stillness within the picture. Continue to gaze into the picture as long as you are free of thought. There is a peaceful feeling within when we allow ourselves to get lost within the gifts of sight. Look for the beauty in all things by seeing beyond a first glance.
Through building your awareness to sound you’ll discover an opening to inner guidance. It’s when we quiet the chatter in our head that our connection to an inner wisdom begins to develop. Allow yourself to receive its many gifts by building awareness to the sounds that surround you throughout your day. Even undesirable noise can reveal a guiding message.
Begin this exercise by taking 3 deep breaths. Select a sound from the audio library below and (with your eyes closed) listen to the sounds without naming them. Keep your awareness on the sounds by directing your attention to your ears. If thoughts come up say the word “ears” or “listen” and draw your attention back to your ears. Listening beyond what is obvious will help you discover inner guidance.
If you begin to struggle with thoughts take a few deep breaths and end this exercise. Each time you practice, allow yourself to work through any struggles by staying in it a little longer and eventually you will experience sounds without thoughts interfering. Practice this exercise daily by consciously listening to the sounds that surround you throughout your day.
Audio Library (click arrow to play):